Saturday, May 12, 2012

Inspiration: Vintage Caribbean

Zeezicht (meaning "sea-view") is a waterfront restaurant and bar in Kralendijk on the island of Bonaire. Bonaire is part of the Lesser Antilles island chain in the southern Caribbean popular now for diving, wind surfing, and birdwatching. The bar was built in 1929 for fishermen and has been owned by a single Dutch family for three generations. Perhaps as a consequence, much of the old architecture and decorations have remained in place and a sort of layering effect has occurred in which old and new can be found together.

The following are some choice highlights that I found among the rafters, wall-hangings, and seat cushions and a few designs that I was inspired by them to reproduce.


Several old, hand-painted tropical fish first caught my eye. It's the discoloration that I like most, but the forms are interesting for their crude realism. Other than the Lionfish, the resin forms are identical, but the paint variations disguise the fact.

The many hand-painted fish forms that hang on the wall and rafters are made of resin and look to be from the 60's. I've seen modern replicas but the care that goes into the painting has been greatly diminished, giving them a cheap appearance. I especially like the Lionfish for it's complex form and semblance to scientific illustrations from the 1800s.

This rough coral pattern and interesting teal color from the seat cushions has a neat vintage look to it.

Carving of a monkey and a pair of mermaids (?)

On one of the heavy beams overhead can be found a crude carving of two mermaids with a monkey sitting cross-legged between. I'm not sure what it signifies, but I like the pose and the symmetry and have created a vector drawing from it for later use, possibly as a framing device. I'm sure that it has a story behind it but I neglected to ask.


My vector drawing based on the carving. I've added a beckoning gesture. ©Scott Okumura
Two mermaids with entwined tails. ©Scott Okumura

There is a plywood cutout of a sailfish on the front porch that I like for its simplicity. I think it would look good on a white wall so I plan to try it, perhaps with a dorado or some Pacific Northwest fish like sculpin or rockfish. The black detail has a distinctive look that I will emulate. The rough sepia wash gives it a good antique appearance.

A folk art alternative to fish taxidermy. I like the flowing black pattern on the fins and gills.
Nice yellowed and brown coloration on this old shark. Probably the effects of nicotine. It's the typical wall-hanging of almost any seaside establishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment